Friday, August 15, 2008

An easy day

Thursday was an easy riding day. We left Duane's dad's place relatively early, and I promptly got us lost (although I prefer the term exploring) going to I-90. Evidently, I zigged around a semi when I should have zagged, and missed the exit. About 40 miles down the road, we tried to correct this mistake, and took South Dakota hwy 34 due west. It did add some color to the ride, by allowing us to see some of the numerous small towns that dot the landscape in this state.
We eventually got back to the interstate, and raced our way across to Al's Oasis, a neat restaurant and gift shop about halfway to our destination of Sturgis. The place was packed, but we got in and seated right away. Duane, Richie and myself ordered the salad bar, since it was quick and available, and actually looked pretty good. Josh ordered a cheeseburger and fries. I also ordered this Wisconson cheese soup. I was amazed at how good it was!! I have had cheese sauce over broccoli before, and thought this would be a watered down version. NOT! It was rich and cheesy, and had some spices added to it. In a word, YUM!!
Our salad bars were good, standard midwestern fare -- iceberg lettuce, some toppings, cottage cheese, etc. At the end of the bar was a (I kid you not!) tater-tot casserole. It looked like some sort of medieval gruel, but, adventurer that I am, I had to try it. It was nice and hot, and tasted pleasantly of meat, potatoes, green beans and various spices. Most filling, and definitely good country fare.
We gassed up (Duane's back has been giving him some problems, and so we are helping him put his valiant Gold Wing up on the center stand) and hit the road again. The weather, which has been unusually good for this area of the country at this time of the year, began to turn. I pulled us over under an overpass, and Josh and I put on our rain gear. Duane said he would push on, and push on he did. Geared up, Josh, Richie and I followed.
Rain came and went the entire run into Sturgis, where we finally caught up to Duane. The four of us headed to the Sturgis BMW/Yamaha/Suzuki shop, to pick up the new bike, but the paperwork had to be done, and the salesman said it would take about an hour to complete. He also needed proof of insurance on the new bike, so we decided to go get a room at the Holiday Inn and get out of the rain, which had begun again.
The room is pretty nice, two queen beds, a small but serviceable bathroom, and a restaurant attached. I got on the phone to Geico, and in less than 10 minutes, the insurance was transferred to the new bike (and I saved $80 on my annual rates; the new bike's payment to BMW Bank is about $10 a month less as well, and it is a MUCH better condition machine to boot!). We went to eat at Phil's, a great meal which Richie picked up. Back to the room, where Duane, Rich and I decided to take a walk downtown; Josh was going to the spa.
Sturgis is dead after the rally. Where less than a week ago the downtown thronged with thousands of bikes and bikers, now it is a veritable ghost town. We stopped at a shirt shop which discounted shirts and hats, then wandered about some more. Duane and Rich decided to shop in the morning while I am doing the final paperwork; I did my shopping and got several shirts and hats.
Back to the room, where I did some laundry and we watched the olympics. I must say, Josh has really turned into a good rider this trip; he has put more miles under his butt in the past two weeks than a lot of people do in a year. And he is riding well and responsibly, alert for danger (like the two idiots who almost hit him on the way to Sioux Falls) and ready to react. I hope that he, like Erik, develops as big a love of riding as I have.
Best wishes tonight. Tomorrow we push on across Wyoming, Montana and into Idaho. There is some discussion about skipping Glacier National Park, since various disasters have come up at home, but it is not yet determined.
NOBAMA 2008

2 comments:

BeckieK said...

Looks like you guys are having a great time! Bummer about the busted bike, but yay for a new one! See you when you're back in town.

patseyann said...

little brother love your blog page only hope fbi..doesen't too...laugh out loud...give everyone my love patty